Why is it so important that you look after your Digestive System? Simple, your Digestive System plays a key role in your health, both body and mind. A healthy Digestive System supports a Healthy You.
The English Oxford Dictionary defines Digestion as, “the process of digesting food”.
This can be further defined as,
- Physical – A person’s capacity to digest food.
- Chemical – The process of treating a substance with heat, enzymes, or a solvent to promote decomposition or extract essential components.
Your body is unique, and has needs that will differ to others, but one thing they all have in common, they all need nutrition to stay healthy and work effectively. These needs can change depending on what is happening at any given point in your life, for example, when pregnant, breastfeeding, training for sporting events or exercising generally.
This nutrition comes from our food and drink, usually made up of proteins, fats, carbohydrates and water. It is not normally in a form the body can use and so it has to be broken down. This is the role of your Digestive System.
In today’s world lives can often run at a demanding fast and furious pace which can lead you to be tempted by ready-made fast food, unhealthy sugary snacks and drinks or takeaway meals; not always the best choice for your digestive system. It can become sluggish and affect your health, leading to heart problems, circulatory problems, diabetes, kidney problems, liver, stomach or intestinal problems.
Choosing the right foods to eat and drink can really make a difference. At Clean Tea we work with our Medical Herbalist and Naturopath Amanda Hunter, a specialist in this area to develop Teas blended from some of the best herbs nature produces to aid your Digestive System. The list below indicates what we use and why.
- Aloe Vera Powder – Aniseed Myrtle
- Aniseed – Calming and antispasmodic it eases colic and flatulence. Works well with Caraway for this. Both Caraway and Aniseed help with bronchitis or irritable coughs.
- Calendula – Anti-inflammatory, vulnerary (promotes healing of tissue), helps soothe digestive inflammation and indigestion.
- Carraway – A calming herb used to ease flatulent dyspepsia (wind) and colic.
- Chamomile – Calming and gently sedating for the Digestive System and mind, Chamomile will ease anxiety and help promote restful sleep after a busy day
- Cinnamon – Calming and excellent for relieving nausea and vomiting.
- Cleavers – a diuretic further supporting urinary excretion of wastes.
- Dandelion Root – This has a significantly beneficial effect on the liver, increasing the secretion of bile by the liver. It has gentle laxative properties and is widely regarded as the supreme liver tonic. Safely supports the detoxification processes within the liver. Dandelion Root is also naturally rich in potassium, making it an ideally balanced diuretic.
- Fennel – Calming and soothing to the stomach.
- Ginger – Promotes digestion and also soothes digestive problems and nausea. It is strongly anti-inflammatory and improves circulation.
- Lemon Myrtle – Supports digestion, promotes lymph flow (very important in removal of wastes and toxins) is anti-inflammatory, calming and supports tissue regeneration.
- Lemongrass – Supports digestion, promotes lymph flow (very important in the removal of wastes and toxins) is anti-inflammatory, calming and supports tissue regeneration.
- Liquorice – Anti-inflammatory and supports adrenal gland function. A great supportive herb when you are always on the go.
- Peppermint – One of the best calming agents available, it eases anxiety and tension, relaxes the muscles of the digestive tract and has an overall calming, soothing effect on the whole digestive system. It relieves pain and promotes a good night’s sleep.
- Rosehip – Essentially a calming tonic rich in vitamins and antioxidants. It is an excellent spleen/stomach and adrenal tonic – organs which tend to be affected by long term stress.
- Sy Mary’s Thistle – Has a remarkable ability to regenerate liver cells and protect the liver against potent liver toxins. It also stimulates bile secretion and digestion in general. Its important positive effects on the liver naturally improve digestive processes and promote balanced, safe detoxification.
- Star Anise – Calming and antispasmodic it eases colic and flatulence. Works well with Caraway for this. Both Caraway and Aniseed help with bronchitis or irritable coughs.
Clean Tea – working hard for your health, blending teas to change your life!